Wow, there is a lot of evidence to support that building an online community is better achieved through blogging rather than threaded discussion. Specifically this said to be due to the blogging platform being less professional and more personal. While I do not disagree with the study results at all, I feel like that is not the entire picture. I think using either format could be useful depending on how the teacher sets up expectations for the media use. If I were to set up either format with the expectation that it is to be an academic discussion or debate, and that is the rubric I grade it on, then then either could easily be a more formal setting. Alternatively, if I were to pre-teach the expectation that the discussions were more supportive and non-academic, that could be the more community building as the study says.
In my high school classroom, I would use threaded discussions to specifically track a publicized debate or create their own debate for the purpose of analyzing. There are websites that fact check presidential debates so it would be interesting to see students track the debate through a threaded discussion and then analyze the claims and rebuttals of the candidates statements similarly. Alternately, I may use blogs to have students reflect on learning or an assignments. Possibly have them set goals and make a plan to follow those goals through over the next unit.
I teach 8th math, so I'm not sure how I would incorporate either blogging or threaded discussions, but I have some ideas for other contents! I think blogging or vlogging would be awesome for social studies classes. For example, on a unit during WWII, students could take on the persona of different period during this time and they could vlogg about their experiences in the perspective of their assigned (or chosen) person of interest. This could be a great tool to help the students understand what people went through. I could see the use of a threaded discussion being used in language arts classes to first introduce the format for discussion topics. I know that in my school at the end of last year, the students did a project titled "The House Divided," and they used Lincoln's speech to then discuss topics they felt were relevant where the opinions of the public were "divided." Using a threaded discussion could help the students feel safe in sharing their responses.
I can understand the struggle trying to connect math to blogging. When I taught math, I never even considered writing. After considering the community building aspect of blogging though, maybe that could be a benefit? Or possibly walking themselves through a word problem to the solution and have their peers give them feedback on the process?
Your school's "House Divided" threaded discussion is a great idea! Do you recall how students reacted to it? Did they seem to enjoy it or feel safe as you suggested?
I definitely think the students enjoyed the House Divided project. A lot of my students used to share the ideas that they put in their project and wanted to have discussions about it in math class... not the appropriate time haha, but still a really good response!
Good idea for the language arts class, Laurie! I can think of using blog to work on creating a story together, to encourage that teacher-student collaboration in class.
I was the student in class who was always told my writing wasn't so great. Now that I have started blogging for my basecamp, I have found my voice and have been able to add the sarcasm and humor that I was missing! I may not follow the exact rules of not starting a sentence with "but" or having an incomplete sentence here and there, but my blog is me! I can see how other students would feel the same. You are able to "let loose" and really find your voice. Do you enjoy a little humor? Do you like adding research to your writing? The student will quickly find out when writing a blog. I agree with the article that it feels more personal. You can pull from your experiences which makes connecting to the author easier and makes the work more meaningful. Blogging would also be beneficial in incorporating the parents into the work. Blogs their child has written would be an artifact that the parents could hold onto and share with other family members. Again, it makes it personal and adds many different connections to the writing!
Hi BriAnne, what a great idea on getting the parents involved! I had never really considered that concept. In the past, I had initiated a kind of student blog through Class Dojo but that was mostly between the teacher and myself. If I have a student initiated blog, as a portfolio, it would be relatively easy for parents and families to get involved, share, and respond.
Blogs can also be a great way for parents to keep up with what their student is doing in class! If they get that standard "learning about stuff" answer at the dinner table, they can check out their child's blog, and find something specific to ask about! Laura touched on it a little in her comment as well, but I think it would be a great idea to try to get parents to comment on their student's blog! Maybe offer extra credit to make it an incentive?
I love the idea of voice! This is so important for getting students invested in their writing. I am always torn between going into this form of writing to correct errors versus going in to understand the message. I usually find myself responding mostly to the message and then leaving a small comment afterward about a single issue that came up in their writing. This balance is sometimes hard to find, but blogging seems like a perfect outlet to get students writing!
I agree with the article when they discuss the fact that students feel that their ideas are valued more with blogs than they are on discussion forums. As a secondary teacher, my students are writing a research paper. Once they write the paper, they are supposed to present their topics to the teacher and their peers. In this case, I think blogging would be a very appropriate task. Blogging would give the students the ability to present the research topic in a creative manner. It would also provide opportunities for their classmates and peers to make positive comments on the topic. Each student would be able to share the researched topic with others in a creative, concise manner. Given time, I would make blogging part of a research presentation for secondary students.
Ahh, using blogging as a kind of a gallery walk, right? A digital gallery walk at that. Wonderful ideas. You may even be able to use it in the early stages as a kind of outline peer review prior to putting their research into formal writing.
I love the digital gallery walk idea a lot. I am currently teaching Computer science, engineering, Yearbook together with Mandarin Chinese and I can totally see how I can use this blog( we are also a google district) idea to enrich all the classes. The other day we talked about solutions for plastics and students are creating models to solve the problem. I could have used blogs to create a digital gallery walk( we are also a 1:1 school).
I like the informality that spirits blogging, but prefer the navigation advantages of the discussion thread. I don’t understand exactly why, but blog conversations really connect with students. Do you think a blog would be preferable at a lower grade level than a discussion?Do you think a blog would be preferable for the more technologically timid colleague than a discussion would be? Just wondering…
That's interesting that you perceive blogging as more informal. I've always thought of it as more formal because it is often more public and permanent.
I actually think blogging to replace threaded discussion would be more preferable at a higher grade level, like high school students based on my experience working with elementary students, middle school students and now high school students. They are usually more adapt to the digital literacy than lower grade kids and tend to like voice their opinions more through "social media". I also don't think a blog is more preferable for a technically timid colleague than a threaded discussion, what is the difference at the technical level does that make for a technically timid colleague? I think I am a little confused.
That theory of blogging to replace threading at a higher level is VERY interesting! Almost like threaded discussion is a way of scaffolding and train online discussion from a younger age. Once that skill has been developed, older students should be able to follow online discussion mores and values in the blogging world.
I think blogging would work well in K-12 when each student is presenting their own idea/project/paper/etc to share their learning and solicit feedback from peers. For example, I am thinking about using blog-style posts for my advanced multimedia art students to build their portfolios as they go (like we have in ILT). Threaded discussions are more private and I find my high school students like using them for brainstorming ideas, sharing resources, and partnering up for projects.
You are considering blogging to be used almost as a Gallery walk, right? Thats a great idea! Maybe even have people outside of school like professionals and family members review it for live feedback. I also find the same comfort level my students have with threaded discussion.
My online school program has a few discussion assignments throughout the semester. I've taught multiple grade levels and subjects at my school, and in every setting, I've felt like these discussion assignments are the most poorly structured, busywork assignments. It's clear that the kids aren't really getting anything from it. They go through the motions, but they're not encouraged to really have a discussion, and it's hard for me to change that based on the way that things are structured. I don't receive notification if students go back after the fact and post more. There is no incentive for going above and beyond, other than me being able to give an extra point or two for those awesome contributors. I'd love to be able to implement blogs into my classroom! My students would be overjoyed to get to do more personal writing that would allow them to get to know their classmates better! Online students love those times when they're able to interact, and feel like they're establishing normal classroom relationships. Unfortunately, I'm not sure if/how I'd be able to approach this, given that we have pretty strict rules when it comes to personal information, and using outside materials due to proprietary issues. I'm not even able to use Youtube videos! We're just starting to roll out Google Suite accounts for the kids, but I think Blogger was purposely left out of that. I'd love to have a conversation with my administrator about this though, and see what work arounds might be available! My administration is very open to trying new things, and working outside of the box, but we do have to contend with the wishes of our corporate overlords.
Emily, what online LMS are you using for your online program? I can understand the limitations you mentioned because my district banned Google+ community and blogger. I have a google+ community with my students but it is using my personal gmail and have all the consent form signed by parents for approval.
Hi Emily! Depending on the LMS it may be beneficial to use Google Classroom or a Google Site as a springboard for other assignments like discussions in Blogger. The LMS we use allows us to send kids to links outside of the LMS then upload screenshots or saved examples of the work they completed.
I never really thought about the difference between a Blog and a Threaded Discussion. I have looked at dozens of Forums over the years and never really thought about the fact that they were Threaded Discussions. I almost never say anything on them, because I go there specifically to find information or a solution for a specific question or issue. I have only ever posted once, that I remember, and that what when I wiring diagram had two wires' colors reversed and I wanted to make sure that I did not blow up my car (turns out the diagram was wrong, and they fixed it) Threaded discussions are much more about information and answering specific questions.
Blogs, on the other hand are not usually started off with a specific topic or theme that you are seeking information on, but instead by the Blogger sharing information and allowing others to reply to that information. This already sounds a little less formal than a discussion thread (or forum.) I could see a Blog post being used to share an explanation for an upcoming project in my technology class, where kids might need some assistance from their parents, or others outside of school. Perhaps we need to gather shoe boxes so that they can design a 3d model of their dream living room,, and gather swatches of material and other building supplies so that the kids can make mini-furniture. In addition to a note sent home, or an email to the parents, a Blog could share that information with a lot of parents at once, and people could let us know what they had to send in, or ask questions if the supplies would work.
John, I like how you pointed out the difference between a blog discussion and a threaded discussion with such clarity and I feel l now understand it so much better. I think blogs can be another way to gather ideas on a specific theme/topic rather than answering questions like in threaded discussion, with the latter immediately making participants feel like obligated and possibly bored. I also teach engineering class, I can see myself using blog as a tool to gather students' thoughts, such as a reflection on using Tinkercad to design 3D model to solve a real-world problem. Instead of sending out an assignment for a reflection paper with Qs I think a blog is a more inviting format.
Hi John! I too didn't know the difference, and still am unsure if there is a concrete difference, between threaded discussion and blogging. Depending on how they are set up, they could be used for the exact same purpose. I really enjoy your idea of sharing blogging with parents!
Hi John! So just to clarify- that a threaded discussion is traditionally used in response to a specific question (I wonder if that's why the tone is more formal/academic?) while blogs are used more open-endedly; someone reads a blogger's feelings or opinion, let's say, and then can reply with whatever their thoughts are. This has me thinking! We have been examining moral ambiguity - in life and literature - so I could find a blog that relates to this topic and have students read and respond. Just an idea as these thoughts pop up. Thanks for sharing!
I did not realize the difference between a threaded discussion and a blog until the topic was brought up. I was reading the previous comments from our force members then I realize I agree with blogs are more personal and also will make build a community easier. In my Yearbook class, we use threaded discussion on Schoology, but I can feel the students are really not into it, basically they participate to get a grade. Now it gives me an idea that I will bring to my Monday co-plan meeting to see how we can try set up blog on ideas rather than use the traditional threaded discussion. Any ideas how we can use a blog in a Yearbook class?
As I get so excited about how to set up a blog discussion or vlog discussion for all my classes, with Yearbook being the first one, I found the discouraging message pop up on my screen "Google Domains has been disabled by your G Suite administrator", any solutions or ideas why? Should I contact the district tech team? I did not realize this could be a violation to student data privacy.
I agree that Blogs could spice up the classroom a bit! It would be a great way to get students more invested in their work. I am surprised by the error message. Your district does not use Google?
I suppose I always thought of a blog as more of a life experience recording. Sort of like an extended Facebook page or an outlet for people to share where they are and who they are visiting. As an adult I have never found myself "researching" a topic by looking through blogs. They seem purely conversational.
In an elementary school setting I can see blogging as a useful tool in establishing respectful communication norms for students. Teachers often use blogs as a lens into their classrooms. They share tools for peers and give honest feedback as to their successes and challenges. In a profession that can be very isolating I believe it is important for educators to make connections and share ideas. A blog seems to be a more open forum. Many teachers have linked their blogs to the website, teacherspayteachers.com in an attempt to share self-created resources.
K-12 students can benefit from using academic language via threaded discussion. In a world of high stakes testing it is imperative that students know how to communicate with increased academic language. Even though we want to create a sense of community in our schools and classrooms we cannot discount the fact that students must be aware of the requirements for success on assessments. Threaded discussions in classrooms give students this opportunity.
Great point about the necessity of students knowing when they are required to speak/write academically...I call that code switching. Maybe it is a possibility that we pre-teach which medians can be communicated in day-to-day lingo and which should be academic language. There seems to be a separation already labeling blogging as non-academic and threaded discussions should be use academically. Do you think that is a good separation to go with?
What I found interesting in the article was the highlighted section on how students felt like blogging was a more personal experience than a discussion board and how more academic language is used on a discussion board. Similar to what Jennifer stated above, don't we want students to be using academic language? How can we create an environment that feels personal and yet rigorous?
Something I'm struggling with right now teaching literature to seniors in High School is finding more diverse avenues for my students to share their thinking. A lot of the work is traditional like reading, discussion, and writing. We do literature circles and socratic seminars, etc., but blogging came to mind recently when I was trying to think about another platform for think/sharing. I've never blogged myself and have always thought about it as a more "professional" or "individual" experience, not something that is easily utilized in the classroom. I am curious now, to learn more about how blogs are used in the K-12 setting.
I found this article very interesting. I never really thought about utilizing blogs rather than an online LMS like Canvas until I commented on Len's blog posts last week. I can definitely see how commenting on a blog can feel more personal and relaxed as opposed to how Canvas can feel more professional. I think my second grade students would love sharing their writing on a blog (one that is more protected and not completely open for the public to see) and having their friends and even family members comment on it. It would be a learning experience for them for sure; I would have to train them a lot to ensure that they knew how to use the platform, but I think they could manage it! We currently publish our writing on Google Docs and I comment on their writing, but I know they would love for their friends to see it too. The one thing I struggle with is that students could comment anonymously and say mean things to one another. Even with all the instruction in the world, I know some students would do it. Any ideas on how to ensure that does not happen?
This article seemed interesting. I always saw blogs as a place to put your own opinion out there so people could follow more than a thread where you seem more professional discussions. In a K-12 setting at my school, the students would rather blog than have a thread. I could see that students wouldn't understand completely what a thread is but they would know what a blog is because they are quite tech-savvy these days. I can see the older students getting used to threads but the elementary and some middle school students still using the blog better. As staff I am not sure which would be better. The staff at my school usually are just emailing or sometimes using Google to talk.
My thought after reading this article is that blogs may have a more authentic response because the creator can take more ownership of their work. They are in charge of the website. On the other hand, a threaded conversation invites all students to a space where they are not in charge. This might be what leads to the more "academic" tone and feel. With that being said, I have used blogs in my film studies class and as an option for most other projects that I assign in my high school English classroom. I love this as an option because it makes the students feel like content creators, not just recipients of information. They are more invested in getting their learning out once it'll be on the internet, not just a Google Doc that only I will see. The engagement makes this a great option!
Recently, Vlogging has become popular in sharing thoughts, creations, and information, with the world wide web viewers. Review the YouTube video on Blogging vs Vlogging above. Which one would you feel more comfortable with? How would you, or how have you, apply Vlogging into your classroom or school? For help with Blogger, see Blogger Tool doc.
**This is Optional** Share successes with threaded discussion, blogging, or vlogging, you have had. Give a quick description of the medium and how it was used. Do you have rubrics you have used to grade online discussions you'd be willing to share? Any photos or screenshots of their online discussions or blogs or vlogs you'd be willing to share? For help with Blogger, see Blogger Tool doc.
Wow, there is a lot of evidence to support that building an online community is better achieved through blogging rather than threaded discussion. Specifically this said to be due to the blogging platform being less professional and more personal. While I do not disagree with the study results at all, I feel like that is not the entire picture. I think using either format could be useful depending on how the teacher sets up expectations for the media use. If I were to set up either format with the expectation that it is to be an academic discussion or debate, and that is the rubric I grade it on, then then either could easily be a more formal setting. Alternatively, if I were to pre-teach the expectation that the discussions were more supportive and non-academic, that could be the more community building as the study says.
ReplyDeleteIn my high school classroom, I would use threaded discussions to specifically track a publicized debate or create their own debate for the purpose of analyzing. There are websites that fact check presidential debates so it would be interesting to see students track the debate through a threaded discussion and then analyze the claims and rebuttals of the candidates statements similarly. Alternately, I may use blogs to have students reflect on learning or an assignments. Possibly have them set goals and make a plan to follow those goals through over the next unit.
I teach 8th math, so I'm not sure how I would incorporate either blogging or threaded discussions, but I have some ideas for other contents! I think blogging or vlogging would be awesome for social studies classes. For example, on a unit during WWII, students could take on the persona of different period during this time and they could vlogg about their experiences in the perspective of their assigned (or chosen) person of interest. This could be a great tool to help the students understand what people went through. I could see the use of a threaded discussion being used in language arts classes to first introduce the format for discussion topics. I know that in my school at the end of last year, the students did a project titled "The House Divided," and they used Lincoln's speech to then discuss topics they felt were relevant where the opinions of the public were "divided." Using a threaded discussion could help the students feel safe in sharing their responses.
ReplyDeleteI agree, I taught math too and blogging/online discussions were always difficult without video because the math type font isn't available.
DeleteI can understand the struggle trying to connect math to blogging. When I taught math, I never even considered writing. After considering the community building aspect of blogging though, maybe that could be a benefit? Or possibly walking themselves through a word problem to the solution and have their peers give them feedback on the process?
DeleteYour school's "House Divided" threaded discussion is a great idea! Do you recall how students reacted to it? Did they seem to enjoy it or feel safe as you suggested?
Laura,
DeleteI definitely think the students enjoyed the House Divided project. A lot of my students used to share the ideas that they put in their project and wanted to have discussions about it in math class... not the appropriate time haha, but still a really good response!
Good idea for the language arts class, Laurie! I can think of using blog to work on creating a story together, to encourage that teacher-student collaboration in class.
DeleteI was the student in class who was always told my writing wasn't so great. Now that I have started blogging for my basecamp, I have found my voice and have been able to add the sarcasm and humor that I was missing! I may not follow the exact rules of not starting a sentence with "but" or having an incomplete sentence here and there, but my blog is me! I can see how other students would feel the same. You are able to "let loose" and really find your voice. Do you enjoy a little humor? Do you like adding research to your writing? The student will quickly find out when writing a blog.
ReplyDeleteI agree with the article that it feels more personal. You can pull from your experiences which makes connecting to the author easier and makes the work more meaningful. Blogging would also be beneficial in incorporating the parents into the work. Blogs their child has written would be an artifact that the parents could hold onto and share with other family members. Again, it makes it personal and adds many different connections to the writing!
Hi BriAnne, what a great idea on getting the parents involved! I had never really considered that concept. In the past, I had initiated a kind of student blog through Class Dojo but that was mostly between the teacher and myself. If I have a student initiated blog, as a portfolio, it would be relatively easy for parents and families to get involved, share, and respond.
DeleteBlogs can also be a great way for parents to keep up with what their student is doing in class! If they get that standard "learning about stuff" answer at the dinner table, they can check out their child's blog, and find something specific to ask about! Laura touched on it a little in her comment as well, but I think it would be a great idea to try to get parents to comment on their student's blog! Maybe offer extra credit to make it an incentive?
DeleteI love the idea of voice! This is so important for getting students invested in their writing. I am always torn between going into this form of writing to correct errors versus going in to understand the message. I usually find myself responding mostly to the message and then leaving a small comment afterward about a single issue that came up in their writing. This balance is sometimes hard to find, but blogging seems like a perfect outlet to get students writing!
DeleteI agree with the article when they discuss the fact that students feel that their ideas are valued more with blogs than they are on discussion forums. As a secondary teacher, my students are writing a research paper. Once they write the paper, they are supposed to present their topics to the teacher and their peers. In this case, I think blogging would be a very appropriate task. Blogging would give the students the ability to present the research topic in a creative manner. It would also provide opportunities for their classmates and peers to make positive comments on the topic. Each student would be able to share the researched topic with others in a creative, concise manner. Given time, I would make blogging part of a research presentation for secondary students.
ReplyDeleteAhh, using blogging as a kind of a gallery walk, right? A digital gallery walk at that. Wonderful ideas. You may even be able to use it in the early stages as a kind of outline peer review prior to putting their research into formal writing.
DeleteI love the digital gallery walk idea a lot. I am currently teaching Computer science, engineering, Yearbook together with Mandarin Chinese and I can totally see how I can use this blog( we are also a google district) idea to enrich all the classes. The other day we talked about solutions for plastics and students are creating models to solve the problem. I could have used blogs to create a digital gallery walk( we are also a 1:1 school).
DeleteI like the informality that spirits blogging, but prefer the navigation advantages of the discussion thread. I don’t understand exactly why, but blog conversations really connect with students. Do you think a blog would be preferable at a lower grade level than a discussion?Do you think a blog would be preferable for the more technologically timid colleague than a discussion would be? Just wondering…
ReplyDeleteThat's interesting that you perceive blogging as more informal. I've always thought of it as more formal because it is often more public and permanent.
DeleteReply above was from me, I figured out how to show my name now. =)
DeleteI actually think blogging to replace threaded discussion would be more preferable at a higher grade level, like high school students based on my experience working with elementary students, middle school students and now high school students. They are usually more adapt to the digital literacy than lower grade kids and tend to like voice their opinions more through "social media". I also don't think a blog is more preferable for a technically timid colleague than a threaded discussion, what is the difference at the technical level does that make for a technically timid colleague? I think I am a little confused.
DeleteThat theory of blogging to replace threading at a higher level is VERY interesting! Almost like threaded discussion is a way of scaffolding and train online discussion from a younger age. Once that skill has been developed, older students should be able to follow online discussion mores and values in the blogging world.
DeleteI think blogging would work well in K-12 when each student is presenting their own idea/project/paper/etc to share their learning and solicit feedback from peers. For example, I am thinking about using blog-style posts for my advanced multimedia art students to build their portfolios as they go (like we have in ILT). Threaded discussions are more private and I find my high school students like using them for brainstorming ideas, sharing resources, and partnering up for projects.
ReplyDeleteYou are considering blogging to be used almost as a Gallery walk, right? Thats a great idea! Maybe even have people outside of school like professionals and family members review it for live feedback. I also find the same comfort level my students have with threaded discussion.
DeleteMy online school program has a few discussion assignments throughout the semester. I've taught multiple grade levels and subjects at my school, and in every setting, I've felt like these discussion assignments are the most poorly structured, busywork assignments. It's clear that the kids aren't really getting anything from it. They go through the motions, but they're not encouraged to really have a discussion, and it's hard for me to change that based on the way that things are structured. I don't receive notification if students go back after the fact and post more. There is no incentive for going above and beyond, other than me being able to give an extra point or two for those awesome contributors.
ReplyDeleteI'd love to be able to implement blogs into my classroom! My students would be overjoyed to get to do more personal writing that would allow them to get to know their classmates better! Online students love those times when they're able to interact, and feel like they're establishing normal classroom relationships. Unfortunately, I'm not sure if/how I'd be able to approach this, given that we have pretty strict rules when it comes to personal information, and using outside materials due to proprietary issues. I'm not even able to use Youtube videos! We're just starting to roll out Google Suite accounts for the kids, but I think Blogger was purposely left out of that. I'd love to have a conversation with my administrator about this though, and see what work arounds might be available! My administration is very open to trying new things, and working outside of the box, but we do have to contend with the wishes of our corporate overlords.
Emily, what online LMS are you using for your online program?
DeleteI can understand the limitations you mentioned because my district banned Google+ community and blogger. I have a google+ community with my students but it is using my personal gmail and have all the consent form signed by parents for approval.
Hi Emily! Depending on the LMS it may be beneficial to use Google Classroom or a Google Site as a springboard for other assignments like discussions in Blogger. The LMS we use allows us to send kids to links outside of the LMS then upload screenshots or saved examples of the work they completed.
DeleteI never really thought about the difference between a Blog and a Threaded Discussion. I have looked at dozens of Forums over the years and never really thought about the fact that they were Threaded Discussions. I almost never say anything on them, because I go there specifically to find information or a solution for a specific question or issue. I have only ever posted once, that I remember, and that what when I wiring diagram had two wires' colors reversed and I wanted to make sure that I did not blow up my car (turns out the diagram was wrong, and they fixed it) Threaded discussions are much more about information and answering specific questions.
ReplyDeleteBlogs, on the other hand are not usually started off with a specific topic or theme that you are seeking information on, but instead by the Blogger sharing information and allowing others to reply to that information. This already sounds a little less formal than a discussion thread (or forum.) I could see a Blog post being used to share an explanation for an upcoming project in my technology class, where kids might need some assistance from their parents, or others outside of school. Perhaps we need to gather shoe boxes so that they can design a 3d model of their dream living room,, and gather swatches of material and other building supplies so that the kids can make mini-furniture. In addition to a note sent home, or an email to the parents, a Blog could share that information with a lot of parents at once, and people could let us know what they had to send in, or ask questions if the supplies would work.
John, I like how you pointed out the difference between a blog discussion and a threaded discussion with such clarity and I feel l now understand it so much better. I think blogs can be another way to gather ideas on a specific theme/topic rather than answering questions like in threaded discussion, with the latter immediately making participants feel like obligated and possibly bored. I also teach engineering class, I can see myself using blog as a tool to gather students' thoughts, such as a reflection on using Tinkercad to design 3D model to solve a real-world problem. Instead of sending out an assignment for a reflection paper with Qs I think a blog is a more inviting format.
DeleteHi John! I too didn't know the difference, and still am unsure if there is a concrete difference, between threaded discussion and blogging. Depending on how they are set up, they could be used for the exact same purpose. I really enjoy your idea of sharing blogging with parents!
DeleteHi John! So just to clarify- that a threaded discussion is traditionally used in response to a specific question (I wonder if that's why the tone is more formal/academic?) while blogs are used more open-endedly; someone reads a blogger's feelings or opinion, let's say, and then can reply with whatever their thoughts are. This has me thinking! We have been examining moral ambiguity - in life and literature - so I could find a blog that relates to this topic and have students read and respond. Just an idea as these thoughts pop up. Thanks for sharing!
DeleteI did not realize the difference between a threaded discussion and a blog until the topic was brought up. I was reading the previous comments from our force members then I realize I agree with blogs are more personal and also will make build a community easier. In my Yearbook class, we use threaded discussion on Schoology, but I can feel the students are really not into it, basically they participate to get a grade. Now it gives me an idea that I will bring to my Monday co-plan meeting to see how we can try set up blog on ideas rather than use the traditional threaded discussion. Any ideas how we can use a blog in a Yearbook class?
ReplyDeleteAs I get so excited about how to set up a blog discussion or vlog discussion for all my classes, with Yearbook being the first one, I found the discouraging message pop up on my screen "Google Domains has been disabled by your G Suite administrator", any solutions or ideas why? Should I contact the district tech team? I did not realize this could be a violation to student data privacy.
DeleteI agree that Blogs could spice up the classroom a bit! It would be a great way to get students more invested in their work. I am surprised by the error message. Your district does not use Google?
DeleteI suppose I always thought of a blog as more of a life experience recording. Sort of like an extended Facebook page or an outlet for people to share where they are and who they are visiting. As an adult I have never found myself "researching" a topic by looking through blogs. They seem purely conversational.
ReplyDeleteIn an elementary school setting I can see blogging as a useful tool in establishing respectful communication norms for students. Teachers often use blogs as a lens into their classrooms. They share tools for peers and give honest feedback as to their successes and challenges. In a profession that can be very isolating I believe it is important for educators to make connections and share ideas. A blog seems to be a more open forum. Many teachers have linked their blogs to the website, teacherspayteachers.com in an attempt to share self-created resources.
K-12 students can benefit from using academic language via threaded discussion. In a world of high stakes testing it is imperative that students know how to communicate with increased academic language. Even though we want to create a sense of community in our schools and classrooms we cannot discount the fact that students must be aware of the requirements for success on assessments. Threaded discussions in classrooms give students this opportunity.
Great point about the necessity of students knowing when they are required to speak/write academically...I call that code switching. Maybe it is a possibility that we pre-teach which medians can be communicated in day-to-day lingo and which should be academic language. There seems to be a separation already labeling blogging as non-academic and threaded discussions should be use academically. Do you think that is a good separation to go with?
DeleteWhat I found interesting in the article was the highlighted section on how students felt like blogging was a more personal experience than a discussion board and how more academic language is used on a discussion board. Similar to what Jennifer stated above, don't we want students to be using academic language? How can we create an environment that feels personal and yet rigorous?
ReplyDeleteSomething I'm struggling with right now teaching literature to seniors in High School is finding more diverse avenues for my students to share their thinking. A lot of the work is traditional like reading, discussion, and writing. We do literature circles and socratic seminars, etc., but blogging came to mind recently when I was trying to think about another platform for think/sharing. I've never blogged myself and have always thought about it as a more "professional" or "individual" experience, not something that is easily utilized in the classroom. I am curious now, to learn more about how blogs are used in the K-12 setting.
I found this article very interesting. I never really thought about utilizing blogs rather than an online LMS like Canvas until I commented on Len's blog posts last week. I can definitely see how commenting on a blog can feel more personal and relaxed as opposed to how Canvas can feel more professional. I think my second grade students would love sharing their writing on a blog (one that is more protected and not completely open for the public to see) and having their friends and even family members comment on it. It would be a learning experience for them for sure; I would have to train them a lot to ensure that they knew how to use the platform, but I think they could manage it! We currently publish our writing on Google Docs and I comment on their writing, but I know they would love for their friends to see it too. The one thing I struggle with is that students could comment anonymously and say mean things to one another. Even with all the instruction in the world, I know some students would do it. Any ideas on how to ensure that does not happen?
ReplyDeleteThis article seemed interesting. I always saw blogs as a place to put your own opinion out there so people could follow more than a thread where you seem more professional discussions. In a K-12 setting at my school, the students would rather blog than have a thread. I could see that students wouldn't understand completely what a thread is but they would know what a blog is because they are quite tech-savvy these days. I can see the older students getting used to threads but the elementary and some middle school students still using the blog better. As staff I am not sure which would be better. The staff at my school usually are just emailing or sometimes using Google to talk.
ReplyDeleteMy thought after reading this article is that blogs may have a more authentic response because the creator can take more ownership of their work. They are in charge of the website. On the other hand, a threaded conversation invites all students to a space where they are not in charge. This might be what leads to the more "academic" tone and feel. With that being said, I have used blogs in my film studies class and as an option for most other projects that I assign in my high school English classroom. I love this as an option because it makes the students feel like content creators, not just recipients of information. They are more invested in getting their learning out once it'll be on the internet, not just a Google Doc that only I will see. The engagement makes this a great option!
ReplyDelete