Step 2 - Blogging vs Vlogging


Recently, Vlogging has become popular in sharing thoughts, creations, and information, with the world wide web viewers.  Review the YouTube video on Blogging vs Vlogging above. Which one would you feel more comfortable with? How would you, or how have you, apply Vlogging into your classroom or school? For help with Blogger, see Blogger Tool doc.

Comments

  1. Concluding that a combo of blogging and vlogging is the idea to go with for best results in publicizing and idea or product. I would transfer that to my students by first having them write on a topic to storyboard it then create a vlog based off of the storyboard. I use “video recording” apps such as Screencastify all of the time for students who are nervous to present in front of an audience. This is a way of differentiating to the students needs as well as scaffolding them into an actual presentation in front of an audience.

    There are many students who would also prefer to create a vlog than write and would even benefit students with IEP accommodations needed. Also, the way this generation consumes media, dropping their thoughts in a well articulated video with some soft editing would be a great way to get their message out there and easily accessible to their generation.

    Overall, I would be comfortable with students vlogging. If they were under 18 and didn’t have parents permission to publish, I would have students add created videos to Google Drive and only have me see it to respect parents wishes and students’ privacy.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I would feel more comfortable with blogging. I feel very self-conscious on video and I don't think that I would be able to share my thoughts easily. Blogging feels safer to me, which I like. I would feel more comfortable sharing when I don't have to worry about what I sound like or look like on video. I don't quite use vlogging in my math class, I do make YouTube videos where I walk through practice tests, and actual tests so students can study and learn from their mistakes, but I wouldn't quite call that vlogging. However, I think in a social studies class this could be an awesome tool! On the other portion of this discussion, I mentioned how students could vlog in the perspective of historical figures and I think that could provide students valuable hands-on experience with their learning!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Having the kids write a script and then Vlog as a historical figure sounds like a lot of fun! That could be a gateway activity for you, too. Create a couple of examples and do a vlog in costume, then be the interviewer for the reluctant kid. I think I need to try that in my technology class.

      Delete
    2. Me too! It is a quite inviting way to deliver content and have more teach-student interaction! I can see how I could have used it in my World Culture class for the lifestyle interview activityI had created for my students before.

      Delete
    3. Great idea! Having students take the perspective of historical figures is a great critical thinking activity. I also think John's idea of writing out a script, or even a rationale, would be a good idea as well.

      Delete
  3. The idea of vlogging could be something as simple as using Flipgrid and then getting to something more complex as the year progressed. As a student, I don't always love recording myself and feel a little self-conscious. As the teacher, I do think it would be nice to hear the students' voices and being able to see from the perspective of the student. If they vlogged about their favorite part of their day and their not so favorite part, discussions could be had around what made it their least and favorite, what was noticed in the vlog, and what could be changed.
    Just like with texting, hearing the voice of the writing can be more difficult. In the vlog, the voice would come through! In younger grades I think having the students vlog would be more of a challenge because upholding the value of the video for a long period of time might not happen. But, an application like flipgrid would help with this issue, in that, students would have a direction to follow and others to base their vlogg off of. Is flipgrid a true form of vlogging? I am not too sure, but I think it's a great place to start!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Love Flipgrid, especially now that Microsoft owns it and it's free. I just found out today that FlipGrid can be integrated into Microsoft Teams as well.

      Delete
    2. BriAnne, brilliant idea to use Flipgrid as vlogging tool. I tried it in one of my previous courses and absolutely loved it. It is short and can serve as a "survey" to see how well students recieve this form of discussion. As they get used to it, vlogging longer can come more naturally.

      Delete
  4. I think there are benefits to blogging and vlogging. I mentioned in my last post that I would use blogging for research projects. I think that blogging enables students to provide more information about the topic. However, vlogging may allow students to give a more creative presentation. As a teacher, I think my comfort level depends on where the blogging and vlogging in being done. With a blog, students can blog inside or outside of the classroom and not disturb anyone else. Vlogging is something that I would encourage students to do only outside of school where they have more space and they wouldn't disrupt others around them. I think both of these techniques are good. I feel that Vlogging is best used as an outside of school activity.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Good point about the space needed for video recording, Brianna. Not all learning environments are well-suited to using video, so educators and learners have to get creative about it. Your idea of using video recorded outside of school is also a great way for students to bring their home lives and cultures into the classroom.

      Delete
    2. Brianna, I like that you pointed out the specific constraints a vlogging assignment have. I will use it more as an extra bonus activity/assignment because they do have to use outside school time to work on it, sometimes a two minutes video can take 20 minutes or more to record, depending on the recorder's comfort level of showing up in video.

      Delete
  5. While I am more comfortable writing, I am trying to move more of my instruction to video because high school students are more likely to watch a video than read . . . anything. I like the idea from the video above of combing blogging and vlogging. During ILT I have enjoyed embedding media into my posts to explain and expand on concepts presented.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I am way more comfortable with text, and face to face interaction than video or audio recordings of myself. I have begun to challenge my comfort zone, and have made a few videos and audio recordings for classes and students, so I hope that this changes as I expand my horizons. As a teacher, I have a number of students with limited literacy skills, and using a Vlog (or a podcast) will give them a way to get information without having to read it.

    Some of my students have limited English skills (there are over 60 languages spoken in my school, and a few of them are non-English speakers) Having information in multiple mediums is beneficial to those kids who do not understand English, and having something in text on the computer gives them a chance to translate it into something they understand. (it is amazing how fast kids can learn how to use the translator) That does not help the non literate, non English speaking kids, of which I have a few, but I am working on that (any suggestions are appreciated)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am not quite sure how to help them other than maybe provide a printed script with a summary of the video in their language. It is way too time consuming to provided a detailed script but a brief summary to provide background knowledge might be helpful. In the school district I am currently working for, they have a translation service, as teachers, I send anything that requires translation, usually I can get them back within two weeks.

      Delete
  7. I see how I can use this for my mandarin Chinese class! Kids are pretty self-conscious about making videos, and I probably can foresee some resistance there.But as their teacher, I can do Vlogging and start from there to encourage my students participate as bonus credits. It could be a real fun activity for my Chinese culture and gardening clubs though.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I just noticed one con for blog in google is I can not go back to edit what I have said but make a new post or reply to myself. Like I mentioned earlier, applying vlogging is quite a fun way to create activities to build a community for clubs, school-wide weekly announcement, teacher's PD training and classes that requires a strong sense of community building, for example, Yearbook class.

      Delete
  8. Even first graders can blog and vlog! Of course we master letter and sentence formation first with pencil and paper but then students love to publish their writing and share it with an audience. I have found MyStory, Puppetpals, and Seesaw very useful in increasing student engagement. They love to share their work immediately with their families and families love to see what their kiddos are completing in school in real time. All three apps allow for students to type, illustrate and record their voices/writing to share. They can easily create characters with dialogue, various settings, and add text. This seems like a logical transition from pencil and paper writing, to typing, to recording, to truly publishing and connecting.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is great that the families can become more involved through this process! It is also interesting that, with this innovative approach to school work, students can now show off their content anywhere there is internet. This is exciting!

      Delete
  9. I definitely use text more and have not done either a blog or vlog but think I would initially be more comfortable as a blogger. BUT am very open to doing more video because I do think that it's important to have a balance and based on the video, people are more engaged with watching videos than reading text (how sad). Using both text and video, however, are powerful tools for not only engagement but for facilitating new information to the learner (who may or may not benefit from text, video, or both).

    I know that my students would benefit from more vlogging, I am honestly just not sure how to direct them or myself for that matter, to vlogs that are academic and support the content/skills we are learning. I was thinking about a cumulative project for our literature book study of having students produce either a podcast or a video.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Personally, I am more comfortable with blogging because I feel that it is easier to get my ideas out in text. However, as a learner, I like watching videos rather than reading a bunch of text; it's just more engaging to me. I know my second grade students would love to create videos because they are just learning to write and type, so blogging would take them forever. Plus, they would love seeing themselves and friends on video!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Katie-
      I completely agree with you. It is true that second graders would be more engaging in vlogging because they are still learning how to type. Blogging would be a bit of a hassle to do for them plus I have noticed that they like to record themselves at the grade level.

      Delete
  11. I am more of a visual learner so I would watch a vlog but I would rather thread about it. I like to type or text my thoughts out than record myself. From watching students, they are having enough trouble with standing in front of their peers to give a presentation, that I think they would rather thread a discussion but some would vlog.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I like the idea of the combination of blogging and vlogging that is brought up. Of course it might be easier to get more detail into written word, but I feel as though many of my students, when given an option, would prefer watching their content. The thing that I find more interesting is that, in addition to the type of content that can be put into a blog vs vlog, another great thing to think of is the different learning styles. By combining the two options, you are more likely to reach all of your students. To add on to this, if you have a set-up like they describe, with a short video to accompany written content, you can also better teach students with different learning disabilities. Even for the general classroom, seeing the same content in two different forms always helps to solidify learning.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Step 1 - Blogging vs Threaded Discussion

Optional Step 3 - Share Your Successes and Resources!